Monday, March 17, 2008

Catch up--YMCA, Newton, New Rep

It's been awhile since I have written--about a week maybe. We did one show at the Cambridge YMCA for a bunch of very spunky city kids. During the kissing scenes, there were "ooohs" and howls. One girl up on the balcony was very into the show. At the end she nearly yelled at Cyrano for not telling me(roxy) that he loved me. She disagreed with his choice to stay silent.

"are you guys famous?"

Then we did our Newton Center public performance which was ....odd:) We performed on a very small stage decorated Seussical style. There was silence during most of the play,however the family from India really enjoyed the show we gave them. They gave us a standing O. I know Paul and Robert need to hear laughs to feel like the show is going well. But for me, I go by how I feel personally that day..and...i didn't feel one way or another about it. Alice, the sweet lady whose hairs I wash in the salon attended and Paul's parent's surprised us as well. The talk back was discussed with much intensity.

Today was our two show day at New Rep! I believe that tonight was one of my best performances. Doug and his group said I got an A plus plus....which....golly..made my night. They said they laughed and cried. They were beaming. Before hearing that, i thought--hey. the last scene was very good tonight. I did what I could with the death scene. Of course, I had my qualms about this or that. But once you hear someone tell you A plus plus...it doesn't matter what you think. I love good grades.

As for the first early show today, we had home schooled kids and their families. Very nice folk. We had a couple theatre kids in there who were going to put on Rapunzel in their house. I think we inspired them.

Everyone has a different way of preparing before the show. Robert is a very focused actor. He is out in the audience or pacing, going over his lines. He is very mature.

Paul is very silly...but he can afford to prepare in a less serious way because his role is so funny.

I need both the seriousness and the silliness to do well in this show. But it was very hard not to laugh at Paul's popped collar in the opening.

No comments: