Friday, April 06, 2007

Wild Party Day 7

so I just finished going over my number (and over and over and over), not singing full out though. (thank god the kids were upstairs playing game cube!) And my adorable husband looked at the lyrics to make sure I was getting them right. (and couldn't help making a few suggestions...heh,heh). I'm gonna blog fast so I can get to sleep-early to rehearsal tomorrow. Wig and costume fitting then a photo shoot. Then rehearsal. I think we're dancing all day, all the live long day....Been staging though, today and I really like that. Walking from place to place I can do. Love what Rick has come up with for my number-the one I just mentioned that I was just working on, and I think I've fleshed it out the rest of the way. We'll see if it works. I think so. Wish it were down a minor third though. That's my sweet spot (love you Toddy! Have I mentioned how much I love you?-how 'bout money? would that do it?) Anyway, there was lots more simulated sex going on. It's funny when someone from the "outside" world stops by and looks in the windows (children especially disconcerting). (the rehearsal space has these big windows open to the steps where there is art that the general public or anyone else can come and admire) I wonder what they must be thinking.
Today at play practice the following was heard...."My mouth is open, just stick something in it"...marla...not sure what that's in refrence to though, could be anything. And Rick mentioned something about oysters....I'll stop there. I forgot to mention that Jeremy Towle has joined the cast. He is playing our Jackie but was absent the first few days because of anther show. He does a russian off of the pouf, that is just amazing. Let me explain, a Russian, in this instance, is a dance move that means jumping high into the air and doing a split and landing back on the ground, hopefully upright. He does it and it's thrilling. I hope he keeps that in-just for me. And a pouf is a giant "sit onable", like an ottoman. He also does a back flip-WHAT? Brian and Paul are the brothers D'armato, a piano and composing "brother" duo. They, in the play, have written a musicale based on Adam and Eve and the lead into it is pretty funny. Todd J. is hysterical and scary and hysterical. It is amazing to see how all these creative minds race to come up with new and interesting ways to get from point A to point B and Rick is a terrifically generous director in that way. He allows us all to be a part of the creative process, putting in our 2 cents, making us feel like it's actually worth something and of course as the director, being the final arbitor of what ends up in the piece. But being able to take a chance, make a mistake, take a risk and feel safe doing it, is what the "process" (hate that word) is all about. Todd G. is making his big acting debut in this as the neighbor! Hilarious. I know that you all enjoyed his "Play Ball" from last seasons Ragtime ( why he didnt' get a norton nom for that portrayal is a scandal-lol-though he did recently win the IRNE for music directing Ragtime-well deserved-not a suck up for key changing!), but this is a huge leap for his acting career at New Rep. Eddie and Mae (Jake and Ilyse) did their number too and it is just 12 shades of adorable! You're gonna love it. The quartet sounds so so good, I can 't believe I have to do my number after it. Outside of rehearsal, everyone is making plans for Passover (or made plans I should say) or Easter. Talking about their favorite Easter candy. Some are going out tomorrow night to do some "cast bonding". I won't be joining as I've got some big singing to do on Sunday, so bond for me and let me know what happens so I can blog it. I think I'm going to bed. Can't remember anything else....literally. xx, Li PS David Costa and Jeff Mahoney opened tonight in Singing in the Rain-I'm sure it went fantastic!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I try not to stand in the window while my lunch is cooking in the production office Microwave, but you guys are too damn good not to watch.