Thursday, April 12, 2007

Wild Party 12

Dr. this morning-swelling is going away! YAY! but it appears I have a fungal infection...what? From putting my foot in my mouth? Ha-on new meds and the fingers are still crossed. Definitely improving.

Today was "let's watch Queenie and Black get it on, on the bed that's too big and too high." It was kind of like watching two very small people in a Giant's house (that was 2 shows ago....) I think the bed will get lower (and it spins! not on it's own though-Andy and Jake will move it) Though the bed is a bit large, the singing is fantastic-Maurice and Marla sing their faces off AND take off their clothing!
Have to give a shout out to my monkey peep Jeremy...he plays Jackie (the sweet dancer-he's the one who does the fabulous russian leap off the pouf-are you keeping up? If necessary please refer back to previous posts regarding the vocabulary-ie pouf, russian etc) Anyway, he has an absolutely beautiful solo dance number in Act 2. (we're supposed to be asleep at that point, but I think I'll sleep with one eye open so I can watch it every night) LOVE IT!.

We staged the fight today as well. TAJ and Jake (Burrs and Eddie), have done all the fight choreo with Rick and it looks pretty convincing. (fight choreo is what you do to keep the actors safe. You actually choreograph the fight like a dance. Only it's a dance where you get punched in the face or kicked in the groin-fun, though that did happen in the actual choreo didn't it Fancy?). Tomorrow we begin our work thru. That's when all the stuff is learned (supposedly) then you go back and make it look pretty. You polish it up, you refine, you tweak. It's good to be able to do that a week before tech. Sometimes you're doing that right up til opening. Some of you may know this, some will not. On this contract, a NEAT teir 7 (i think),we only get about 3 weeks rehearsal.We rehearse 10-6 every day but one, Monday. Then we have a week or so of tech. Where get onto the stage, and work out all the kinks, the spacing, the lighting, costume changes, dance moves, set pieces. Etc. We call these 10 out of 12s. That's where we can work 10 out of 12 hours. WHoo Hoo. Broadway shows get months and a few weeks or more of previews before they open. I've put up shows in 8-13 days. That's top to bottom! From first day of rehearsal to opening....that ain't easy! All those lyrics, dance steps, not to mention the book scenes!! I'm really not sure that people understand what we accomplish in such a short time, with very little budget and with very little personnel. (the behind the scenes people-the stage managers and Assistant stage managers, dressers, etc.)
well, i've got to spend some time with my kids, I can't talk to them so I've got to atleast go look at them! I mouth things to them, they're used to this. Though this is more extreme than any other time I've imposed my own vocal rest. But they do have fun with it at my expense. My eldest said once "What mom? Little Timmy's down a well?"
xx Li

No comments: