Friday, March 06, 2009

First Week of Performances

4th March

Well here we are 5 days later and still nothing of note. So really here we go!

Our first week of performances is well and truly over. Our director has gone west, seeking new opportunities, so sadly Boston's loss is California's gain. I am selfishly keeping fingers crossed that Chris has a successful meeting or two in San Francisco as Alison (the wife) and I would love a working holiday out there, well work for me, holiday for her!

We started last week, with a preview with more than a glitch or two! Which was frustrating in itself, and hardly a nice warm up for our 'first night', but well Will and I put that behind us and took 'Press Night' in our stride. Adrenaline was a big mainstay, and it wasn't so much the idea of 'the press' that stirred the nerves, but more the fact that Kate Warner, New Rep's new Artistic Director, was out there, and a few too many peers of the Boston Theatre World. Thankfully there were also a lot of 'home fans' in friends, and of course the wife! All in all it was an enjoyable night and a good way to kick off 'the week'.

The funny thing about when a show is up and running, there is always the challenge of keeping it fresh, of trying to keep it new, not to dwell on 'bits' that seemed to go so much better the night before, or as was the case on Sunday night, finding something so new that it completely throws you and you forget your next three lines!

I am told the audience weren't aware of the mistake, but it wasn't helped by the fact that in the matinee, I was so sure I said my line, that I didn't know I hadn't, until Will informed me after the show, which explained the strange line that he threw to me as a lifeline. Still it's what keeps us on our toes!

It's been a long time, since I've enjoyed myself so much on a show. The script is simply fantastic, and the story of the friendship that centres around these two men is incredible. (It actually reminds me of a friendship I had with a neighbour, who sadly passed away about three years ago.)

I also can't get over how much I am enjoying my craft each and every night out there on the stage. I admit though from time to time I am getting a little tired pulling 'listening faces', and sometimes wondering if I am overacting in my listening, but so far Will has said nothing!

I am sure he will, if my 'shocked face', grows to 'oh my goodness, an Oscar for me' face. Mind you if in the ten million to one unlikely event of that happening, I think I'd be expressionless due to the fact that I would have keeled over and died from the surprise of not only winning but also the fact that I should have put a dollar down on those odds!

Ross

No comments: