Monday, February 16, 2009

Friendship and Revelations in Rehersal

February 16th

It's funny what comes out of the rehearsal process, and when I say this I am talking about matters that will not be evident when we get onto the stage. If any of these other matters, do happen to appear on our performance nights, I can safely say that they will more likely be found to be sitting in the audience.

I'm sorry I don't mean to be so cryptic, but I am trying to introduce such subjects as friendship, memories from the past, and perhaps I may even touch open all the discoveries I have made in the last week that I genuinely believe have helped me adding a deeper layer to the character of "the Playwright" in Exits and Entrances.

Friendship, to a degree is what you will see in our production it's after all a story that involves a friendship. A friendship of many levels and the way in which that friendship changes in a period over five years. Well needless to say, by working on such topics one soon thinks of one's own personal friendships and relationships. I think of my wife, my parents, my brother, my Grandparents both of blood and adoptive, of friends I've made over the years, the ones I've met whislt working as an actor, my army mates, old school friends and of course my childhood friends. I think of my close friendships, ones that have lasted over the years, and the brief but happy friendships over my rugby years, as well as the close ones made. You end up considering all the valuable lessons and experiences you gained in the company of others and the heartbreak and anger when friendships have ended.

We humans are a funny animal species, most of us thrive in being able to be in the company of others, we can't or at least I can't be happy in my own company for any considerable length of time. It's as though we are only complete by a relationship with others, and sometimes we find it in a spiritual format but we also need the actual physical presence of someone to at least share a chat and a bit of laughter.

So you see there has been quite alot of thinking going on, which is a somewhat differant experience from my last outing at New Rep, where my main concern was blowing my brains out on the right line! No seriously, I loved working on The Lieutenant of Inishmore, which by the way congratulations to Colin, Karl and Lynn for their 2008 IRNE nominations, where was I, ah yes, no I seriously enjoyed that mad comedy but the nature of Exits and Entrances stirs up a multitude of deep feelings.

Sometimes it's not even the script, at times it's just pure accident, for example the girls, Amy and Candice (our lovely stage management team) had to put some wax on a particular tough draw. In doing so the smell of the wax threw me back to to my childhood home and the smell of a polished hall floor and thoughts of a lady crying in our cloakroom, and my dog, and my sliced chin involving 'Superman' slippers, and Ireland rugby jersey and a carpet divider! You see all through some wax.

So you see, it's not just the joy of hard work and creative muscle flexing that I am getting out of these intense rehearsals, but a whole range of emmotions and feelings that could be really be gone into deeper detail if it wasn't for the fact that I have to go and do some rugby coaching.

So I guess new revelations found in week two of rehearsals will have to wait.

Hope you have all had a marvelous 'Presidents Day'.

All the best,
Ross

No comments: