Monday, February 09, 2009

Truly Entering the Rehearsal Process

February 4, 5, and 6th

Before this starts resembling my journal with only a couple of pages a month, I thought it best to add to my recent contribution. After all if I don't, they'll be at least two unhappy people, the lovely ladies who asked me to be this production's blogger!

We are now well and truly into the rehearsal process, and it is an experience where each day is another step not only to opening night, but more importantly it's a day of discovery and discussion, about the characters, the relationships that exist between them, the world that surrounds the characters, and the world that we the actors live in. It's a luxury (in the best sense of the word), each day is a luxury in the 'process' of rehearsal, a luxury in the work of an actor to explore thoughts, feelings, and relationships of the character that this play allows us to inhabit. It's a luxury in observation and reaction, a luxury to be on stage or at this present time, to be in the rehearsal room and watch Mr. Lyman at work or to be guided Mr. Jorie in finding ways to allow me to find the character of 'The Playwright'.

I wish I could be more detailed in these early days of rehearsals, but it's almost as if my attention is focused on the work that needs to take place in the rehearsal room rather than to be able to document it all down clearly. Then again, I know that sounds like an excuse, which to be fair it's a rather good one, but in all seriousness alot of what we discuss is part of the development of the character. Then again, once my day off comes round on Monday, I can put it all in perspective and bore all three readers that I have with a long detailed report of the 'story so far'. Or maybe at the moment I am running shy of reporting the day to day goings on, in fear that my charismatic 'Playwright' is turned into an avid reporter, which is fine if I was in Frost/Nixon but it's no good in Exits and Entrances. Mind you I've never been one for the method, but I am not going to run the risk.

Truth is, I am tired, it's late and the wife and cats are calling.

Cheers,
Ross

No comments: