Monday, February 09, 2009

First Day of Rehearsals...

February 3, 2009

It’s been a long time since I can say that today was a special first day of rehearsals. Not that I want to offend all the lovely people I have worked with so far in Boston, but I can’t remember a first day like this since my first job after drama school. Back then a lot of it came down to the fact that I actually had got an acting job! But this time, well I suppose the reasons are a bit like the play we are embarking on, there are both obvious and complex ones.

There is of course the fact that the people I am working with are all pretty special. (I don’t want to wax too lyrical about the team as they will all start to think I am being an awful brown-noser.) There is also the theatre and of course there is the small matter of the script. It’s not the first time I’ve worked on a ‘modern classic’, but this play is special, as Chris Jorie (Director) said, ‘each time you read it, there’s something else’ and it’s true. It certainly helps to work alongside such a powerhouse in Will Lyman. (Oops there’s the brown nosing!) But the fact is now that you begin to work off a living breathing Andre, there are two characters in the play, Andre (Mr Lyman) and the Playwright (yours truly), then there is already more and more surprises occurring on every page, or should I say in every moment.

I would love to say more but to be honest I better get on, my wife and I haven’t had a moment, and then of course there are the cats!

Cheers,
Ross

No comments: