Sunday, April 13, 2008

Last New Rep On Tour Post

These are my last words on here...and i'm already feeling dramatic about it.

I'm a little sad, summing up all that I've been through on this tour. I was so lucky to be chosen to work with such great actors, a very special director, and a lovely stage manager.

This past week, we visited our final schools. Every school was a new and different place. I started to feel like a pro at this touring stuff--walking into a fresh new school, getting quickly acquainted with the new space, performing, and leaving.....just like that. Theatre itself is kind of like a tour....which is why i'm a little sad. You get quickly acquainted with people you work with, you have moments with them, perform, and before you know it....its over. Thing is, I am the only girl in the cast. I'm the only truly emotional girly one.....no one else was in a sad crying mood so I held in the tearful goodbyes. Somehow our goodbyes passed without meaning too much. It was more like..."see ya.."

Interesting schools I didn't write about this past week--we visited a strange school near my apartment in Boston right near Fenway--Boston Arts Academy. It was a small little black box stage with garbage on the floors, nails and sawdust on the stage, and a creepy stage setting which looked a lot like it was from the "underground railroad" times...(This makes sense to me)...
The audience liked us.

We also went to a school called the Waring school (I think) where there were little children running around and everyone could use their cell phones in the halls....(kids these days!?) Also, the air smelled of biscuits and tomato soup, which I craved greatly upon getting a whiff.

Today was our last performance at the Brandeis Arts Fest. It was a good one. They clapped for a long long time, way after we left the stage. I will remember a little girl with bright orangy, red hair who came up to me and told me she really like the show. That was very special. You had to see her.

My favorite school--The Waldorf school. It was early on in the tour. Maybe our second performance. Nothing could compare to those kids and the way they received our show. No it wasn't the loud cheers of Catholic (which Paul and Robert loved most)...but it was their respect, and silence during the emotional parts. And the room was so spiritual you could cry. These are kids with a special circumstance and coming to perform for them was really giving something back.

Just some things to note before I go....

Paul often announced to the audiences that it was Kate's (our stage manager's) birthday. Today he got a cake for his (next month)
(I had to blog about that)

I will miss seeing different sites every time I go to perform. I love to see places I've never seen before.

Bob needed to make sure that his nose got back to its original box but he did not want to keep it for himself. (I see a lot of meaning in this)

Alright....that's it. I enjoyed this play very much and the journey we have all taken together.

No comments: