Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Dessa Rose - First Rehearsal

And so our journey begins!

I'm Kami, and I'm playing Annabel, various other female ensemble roles, and understudying Dessa Rose in New Rep's upcoming production. I'm excited for the opportunity to be a voice from the cast to the community so that you guys can get an idea what goes on in that third floor rehearsal hall :)

I am so excited that New Rep is taking on this brilliant show and its difficult subject matter. A female slave that leads a rebellion? A white society woman who falls in love with a black man and helps slaves find their way to freedom? These are topics that are not often discussed. These are women who were willing to defy societal constraints to live their lives. Ironically, the characters in the show travel to the area I'm from (northern Alabama/Mississippi), so the show feels that much closer to me. I'm excited for the challenge of bringing each of my different characters to life and really breathing a soul into each of them.

Yesterday was our first day of rehearsal. We filled out a lot of paperwork in the morning, then heard presentations from the shows designers. I was so excited to see the work that's already been put into the production long before the actors showed up. Then, we started a sing/read/stumble thru of the show. Oh man. There was some really great talent in that room.

I've got to say, I felt a little nervous and intimidated going into the room. I'm still in school working towards my masters degree in Musical Theater and this is only my third professional theater experience. I was so glad that my classmate and friend De'lon, who is playing Kaine in the show, was there too, just to share in this new experience and to chat with on the T :) The cast and crew were all really kind and friendly and great to work with, so I got over the nervousness thing pretty quickly. I'm excited to soak up the knowledge from them as we continue in this process.

This entry probably sounds like a lot of gushing about the entire production after only the first day. And it is :) But I just feel really fortunate to be a part of it! Today is more learning music. Until next time!

-Kami

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When is the next blog update? I cant wait to read more about what is going on! Thanks Kami for keeping us updated!! Your biggest fan, Jessica