Thursday, April 10, 2008

ACCORDING TO TIP

I am counting the days when According to Tip opens at the New Rep.
I started on the project seven years ago and it has been a long and winding road.
I've long since stopped counting the drafts I have written (in fact the tinkering continues) but I have stuck with it because I am convinced that the life and times of Tip O'Neill are worthy of a theatrical presentation.
His career in public office lasted fifty years, but culturally it spanned the entire twentieth century. He began in the days of street corner rallies and torch light parades and lasted into the age of computerized politics and multi-million dollar campaigns.
He played a role in issues ranging from the Red Scare of the thirties, Watergate and the Reagan Revolution. But more than that he was one of the most colorful characters in American political history. He battled with Reagan while at the same time they were close friends, he played cards with Nixon, campaigned with the Kennedy's and sang a song or told a story at the drop of a hat.
As a political reporter I covered him and in his retirement he befriended me.
And now I've written a play about him.
He was an American original and come this June, thanks to Ken Howard, Rick Lombardo and the team at New Rep, he'll be coming back to life.
I'm counting the days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking forward to seeing this since it was first announced at the ART. I'm very happy it will be at New Rep. Great idea for a play!