Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pieces

The following are excerpts from what I call "Picking up Pieces." Pieces was first written and performed in NYC on 2000. These excepts attempt to document the process of re-engaging with the play for the upcoming production at New Rep (in conjunction with "My Name is Rachel Corrie"), and as a result, re-engaging with a very different Middle East.
Director Suzana Berger, and I in the midst of our last New York workshop before we go up to New Rep on Monday. Over the last months we've had a long process of working on the play both in New York and in San Francisco. It has been fascinating process. At first, the thought of delving into a play I wrote eight years ago was utterly intimidating, not to mention performing in it. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what to say, and how to take a story about 94' and make it meaningful today, after all that has happened in Israel/Palestine since.
We're finding our way, some things are not resolved yet, and other parts we feel confident about. We're hoping everything will come into a sharper focus once we're in our official rehearsals at New Rep.




No comments: