Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pieces

The following are excerpts from what I call: Picking Up Pieces. Pieces was first written and performed in NYC in 2000. These excerpts attempt to document the process of re-engaging with the play for the upcoming production at New Rep (in conjunction with My Name is Rachel Corrie), and as a result, re-engaging with a very different Middle East.

Director Suzana Berger and I are in the midst of our last New York workshop before we go up to New Rep on Monday. Over the last months we've had a long process of working on the play both in New York and in San Francisco. It's been fascinating. At first, the thought of delving into a play I wrote eight years ago was utterly intimidating, not to mention performing in it. I wracked my brain trying to figure out what to say, and how to take a story about 1994 and make it meaningful today, after all that has happened in Israel/Palestine since.

The more we work, the less scared I feel. We're finding our way, a couple parts are not resolved yet, while we feel more confident about others. We're hoping everything will come into a sharper focus once we're officially rehearsing at New Rep.

More on all of that soon. I'm looking forward to the drive up and to meeting everyone at the theatre. My wish is that we will all create a true theatrical exchange together. A dialogue.

Peace,
Zohar.





No comments: