Friday, March 30, 2007

Wild Party Day 1

So, I must confess that I am a "blog virgin". I have read blogs, been written about in blogs, been blogged on, but never been the blogger. So bare with me while I get the hang of this. I hope you all find this highly entertaining and stimulating or at the very least enough to get you to sleep without your Ambien.
The first rehearsal of a show is always an odd thing. Everyone's excited to see who's playing what, sizing up their fellow cast mates-getting to know who they may or may not be making out with in the next day or two. And in a Rick Lombardo show that could really be just about anyone! But i digress. We introduced ourselves and our characters, then we met the rest of the theatre staff and heard about the "dos and don'ts", and Todd told us all about the comp policy. Which is always good to hear again, cuz I never remember it. (not that I won't still need reminding-sorry Todd). Then we got to see the world we will be playing in over the next weeks/months. The designers introduced themselves and their ideas. (I just realized that I'm not sure to whom I'm blogging, so if you know all about how things go at a rehearsal or are a theatre person, my apologies, but for those who don't know....). The set looks great! Of course it's Jannie and the costumes are always spectacular-(not a suck up Frances). We don't get to see the lights of course, but they're Frank's so I know they'll be great (I look particularly good in bastard amber :). Then Rick told us his mission for the piece. Always enlightening, always well thought out. Most people are probably excited about seeing this show for the singing (which dare I say, even at the first read/sing thru, is incredible-there have never been so many "flip top" heads in one room), or perhaps for some, it's the possible nudity (not mine! I know, a disappointment to many-I'm afraid tickets can not be returned, sorry you're just going to have to deal). But for me it's the story and true to form, that's what it's about for Rick as well. It's the story that will be told here, by real people in real situations. Unpleasant people perhaps, in unpleasant, if horrifying conditions. But honestly, I believe that this is what Rick does best. Communicating what's behind all that singing. I'm really looking forward to that. (again, not a suck up)
So we sang/read thru the piece then the maestro Todd Gordon lead us thru the first few numbers. Most of us sight reading-oy-there's a lot of work ahead of us (poor ToddG). But no time! It's choreography tomorrow-Oh mama! I'm really hoping to just be able to "Patti Lupone" it and have people just dance around me-but I'm afraid theres no chance of that. So I'll strap on my capezios (i do own them) and dust off the sports bra-god help us all. Now it's running on the treadmill, while putting in a load of laundry, making lunch for tomorrow, learning my music, spending quality time with my sons, feeding them dinner and completely collapsing. More fun later....Li

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my lower back is killing me.