Wednesday, May 02, 2012

An Update from New Voices @ New Rep

The following entry is by Emily Kaye Lazzaro, one of this year's four New Voices @ New Rep Playwrighting Fellows, in response to meeting with a professional design team to discuss her play The Circus:


"At our New Voices @ New Rep Playwriting Fellows meeting on Monday we were given the opportunity to have a meeting with designers.  Before the meeting, the designers read our plays and came up with some ideas, images, and concepts for what productions of our pieces would look like.  What a revelation it was!  I am always floored when other artists read my work and are able to mold it into something greater than I even imagined.  I am sadly not very well-versed in theatre design concepts and vocabulary and, especially after the meeting on Monday, would very much like to remedy that.  I love learning about lighting and sound techniques, ways that color can invoke certain emotions in the audience, and how to suggest that an actor is playing an animal without shoving it down the audience’s throat.  If any designers are up for it, I’d definitely sign up for a class called “Theatre Design for Playwrights”.  I’m thirsty to learn more."

Emily Kaye Lazzaro’s reading of The Circus will be happening on Sunday June 10th at 6pm at the Arsenal Center for the Arts.


No comments: