Monday, May 12, 2008

Dessa Rose - One Week Left

Our Dessa Rose journey is quickly coming to a close. Yesterday marked the end of our third week of performances. We close on this coming Sunday. What an experience it's been! I have had such a great time getting to know my fellow cast members and chatting with them about life and the business. I really think that the fact that we all like each other as human beings plays onstage. Even when we have scenes where our caucasian friends aren't necessarily being kind to their African American castmates in some of the shows' more difficult scenes.

Speaking of difficult scenes. We had a really great talkback with the audience on Sunday afternoon where some people volunteered how difficult it was to watch some of the scenes as they played out onstage. For example, the beatings, the coffle, and other violent scenes are hard, even when they are put into musical form. However, the example that was given was a point in the show where Ruth leaves the slave quarters and we all proceed to laugh at her behind her back. An audience member commented that this was difficult because it's such a universal occurrence that happens to everyone. For whatever reason, this really stuck with me. It's so interesting to think about the universal messages in this show and why it is so vitally important to make sure this story is told.

A friend of mine came to see the show and asked me how I felt about playing a slave. The question struck me because I realized something about my role in this show. This is so not about playing a slave in a musical. It is more about telling the story of these two women. And their story just happens to be set during a time in American history where this was their truth and reality.

I'm so excited about the remainder of the run - my two sisters and their friends are seeing the show on Wednesday, and more of my classmates from Boston Conservatory will be attending at random points during the week. Having love in the audience really makes a difference in a performance. For now, I'm enjoying my off days and resting up for a great final week!

No comments: