Thursday, May 01, 2008

Dessa Rose - Back in the Saddle

Tonight was our first night back after a two day break. So interesting coming back to a show after running it for a while and getting a break. I've worked out certain character choices for my characters throughout the show - while allowing the individual changes in each performances to affect them - but it was so interesting finding those choices and really considering why they work or don't work after the show has been left alone for a bit. I think I might have fallen into a rut of making decisions and reacting certain ways to events in the show, but stepping away from it gave me a little perspective. This is not to say, of course, that I completely changed all my blocking and disregarded my props this evening. This is not what happened at all. However, it was so great just to a fresh unfiltered look at what's going on. 

It was also really nice to come back and see the familiar faces of my castmates and catch up on what they did over our break. It made me realize what a bond we're starting to have as a cast. I think that that really plays onstage and helps us have that ensemble feel. We are really going to be bonding this weekend - we have four shows in two days, matinee and evening shows on both Saturday and Sunday. That will certainly be an adventure for all involved :)

Okay, I must go to bed and prepare for my last day of classes (!!!!) and another great show tomorrow night. Until next time...

No comments: