Sunday, April 20, 2008

Dessa Rose - Final Dress Rehearsal!

We are approaching the end of our rehearsal journey! It's been a crazy few days. We just got out of two days of 10 of 12s (10 hours of rehearsals with two hours of dinner break). The tech for this show is pretty intense - lots of light cues, a multi-tiered set to play on, and tons of costume changes for various people. Tech is a lot of hurry up and wait - get into costume, do a few lines, then someone calls hold while the technicians adjust lights, costumes, instruments, etc. This is the time when the show really starts coming together - when everyone is really in high gear doing what has to happen to really make the world of this play come alive.

Tech for this show was pretty intense because of all the vignettes and dream sequences and character changes and everything. But it is soooo exciting to see everything come together and land in its place. With this particular show, I really love how the lights help tell the story. The set, costumes, everything is just striking. Even though I know the show really well by now and I know everything that happens along the way, I still get choked up every night at during the Epilogue. There's just something so beautiful and simple and poignant about it that is really affecting.

One really fun part of tech is getting to know my fellow actors better. I've really had a good time getting to really chat with Leigh and Uzo, whose dressing tables are next to mine. I learn so much from them just watching them perform, so chatting with them in general is just really fun. I'm really getting to know Michael and Peter, too - such great guys with so much experience in this theater business.

Okay, I'm in the dressing room due for an entrance soon so I've gotta fly. :)

1 comment:

Court said...

This show sounds so amazing! Break a leg to all of you guys - previews start today, I believe, yes? Good luck!

-court